Do you know how to choose cutting fluid? The appropriate cutting fluid can:improve the cutting speed, increase the feed and tool load, and then reduce the processing cost, increase the capacity, and the tool life, improve the surface quality and the machining accuracy of the workpiece, reduce power loss in cutting.
For CNC metalworking, select the right cutting fluid，with all the benefits, keep reading this article！
The General Steps of Cutting Fluid Selection
The choice of cutting fluid must consider machine tools, cutting tools, processing technology, and other comprehensive factors to determine, as shown in the selection of cutting fluid steps.
Before selecting the cutting fluid, according to the processing method and the required accuracy, safety, and waste liquid treatment are set up. Through these items, the two major categories of oil-based cutting fluid or water-based cutting fluid can be determined.
Water-based cutting fluids should be considered, if fire protection and safety are emphasized. When choosing a water-based cutting fluid, the discharge of waste liquid should be considered, and the enterprise should have waste liquid treatment facilities. Some processes, such as grinding, generally can only use water-based cutting fluid; For the use of carbide cutting tools, generally consider the selection of oil-based cutting fluid.
Some machine tools in high timing provisions to use oil-based cutting fluid, do not easily switch to water-based cutting fluid, so as not to affect the performance of machine tools. After weighing these conditions, we can decide whether to choose oil-based cutting fluid or water-based cutting fluid. After determining the main term of cutting fluid, the second step selection can be carried out according to the processing method, the processing accuracy, surface roughness, and other items and the characteristics of cutting fluid, then the selection, cutting fluid can meet the expected requirements for identification. Identify if there is a problem, then feedback back, find out the cause of the problem, and improve, and finally make a clear choice.
Application of Oil – And Water-Based Cutting Fluids
At present, there are many kinds of cutting fluid, and the performance is good and bad, if improper selection, will cause bad consequences. In general, water-based cutting fluid should be selected under the following questions:
- Places with potential fire danger of oil-based cutting fluid
- High speed and large feed cutting, so that the cutting zone beyond high temperature, smoke intense, fire hazard occasions
- In terms of the process before and after the process, the use of water-based cutting fluid is required
- It is hoped to reduce the contamination and dirt around the machine tool caused by oil splash and oil mist and diffusion surface, thus keeping the operating environment clean
- Considering from the price, for some easy machining materials and workpiece surface quality requirements are not high cutting, the use of general water-based cutting fluid has been able to meet the use requirements, but also can greatly reduce the cost of cutting fluid occasions
Oil-Based Cutting Fluids Should Be Considered in the Following Situations:
- When the tool durability of the cutting economy has a large proportion (such as expensive tool, grinding tool difficult, long loading and unloading auxiliary time, etc…)
- The precision of the machine tool is high, and it is absolutely not allowed to be mixed with water (in order to avoid corrosion)
- Where the lubrication system and cooling system of the machine tool are easy to collude and where waste liquid treatment equipment and conditions are not available
Cutting Fluid Matters Needing Attention
- The cutting fluid should have no irritating smell and no harmful additives to human body to ensure the safety of users
- The cutting fluid should meet the requirements of equipment lubrication and protection management, that is, the cutting fluid should not corrod the metal parts of the machine tool, do not damage the sealing parts and paint of the machine tool, and do not leave hard gelatinous sediment on the guide rail of the machine tool to ensure the safety and normal operation of the equipment
- The cutting fluid should ensure the anti-rust oil function between the workpiece process, and do not rust the workpiece. When processing copper alloy, the cutting fluid containing sulfur should not be used. When machining aluminum alloy, cutting fluid with PH neutral value should be selected
- The cutting fluid should have excellent lubrication and cleaning performance. The cutting fluid with high PB value and small surface tension without clamping load was selected, and the cutting test showed that the cutting fluid had good effect
- The cutting fluid should have a long service life, then the machining center is particularly important
- The cutting fluid should adapt to various machining methods and various workpiece materials as far as possible
- Cutting fluid should be low pollution, and waste liquid treatment method
- Cutting fluid should be suitable in price and convenient in preparation. To sum up, the user can choose the cutting fluid, according to the specific processing situation, the first primary thought that the comprehensive performance is better 2 ~ 3 kinds of cutting fluid, after the factory trial, determine the performance to meet the factory processing technology requirements, the price of appropriate cutting fluid
If you have any requests for metalworking tools, please contact UKO for more information, we are willing to help you and we are looking forward to communicating with you~ what’sup:+86 17773373890