The basic edge shapes of carbide end mills has two types: straight shape and spiral shape. The helix angle can be divided into 30°, 45°, 50°, etc., and there are various types. Compared with the straight edge, the spiral edge end mill has the advantages of light cutting, smooth cutting, high efficiency and wide application range, so it has been widely used in milling processing. Now let’s introduce how to distinguish between use.
The role of helix angle: the greater the helix angle of the end mill, the longer the contact length between the workpiece and the cutting edge. This can reduce the load per unit length of the cutting edge, so the tool life can be extended. But at the same time, the cutting resistance will increase, so it is necessary to consider the use of a tool holder with high clamping rigidity.
The choice of helix angle: for difficult-to-cut materials with low thermal conductivity of stainless steel and greater heat impact on the cutting edge, a large helix angle end mill is used for cutting, which helps to extend the life of the tool.
In addition, the characteristics of the finished surface change due to the helix angle. For example, when smooth finishing is required, sometimes a large helix angle type end mill can be used. However, when using a large helix angle end mill, the cutting resistance will increase, and the force of the right helix angle tool will also increase, so corresponding measures must be taken, such as using a tool holder with high clamping rigidity. Although the rigidity of the tool can be ensured, the small helix angle type end mill bits is sometimes used when the rigidity of the workpiece is low, such as thin plate processing.
Large spiral end mill with a helix angle of 50°:
1. End mills for side finishing
2. Adopting multi-edge design, the tool has good rigidity, which can minimize the amount of tool letting in during side cutting.
3. The cutting edge is protected by sharp corners, which can minimize the chipping of the cutting edge.
60° helix angle type end mill:
1. Suitable for high-speed cutting of difficult-to-cut materials such as SUS304 stainless steel
2. For difficult-to-cut materials whose thermal conductivity is low and the tip temperature rises easily during cutting, the unique shape of the blade can suppress the effect of cutting heat on the tip.
High-efficiency roughing end mills for high-speed machining:
1. With 45° helix angle and unique groove shape, high-speed processing and high wear resistance are realized at the same time.
2. Using fine-toothed chip breaker, the surface roughness after processing is good.
3. Adopt a coating with excellent lubricity and good heat resistance (heat resistance temperature 1100℃).
Finally, the helix angle is one of the main parameters of the helix edge end mill. The change of the helix angle has a great influence on the cutting performance of the tool. With the development of CNC machining technology, the helix angle has been changed in the tool manufacturing process become possible. If we further study the various influences of the helix angle on the cutting performance of spiral-edge end mills, when manufacturing and selecting spiral-edge end mills, combine the performance of the machine tool and tooling fixtures, according to the performance of the processed material and the processing accuracy, Comprehensive consideration of factors such as machining efficiency, tool material and tool life, and optimizing the size of the helix angle will undoubtedly play an important role in promoting efficient and high-precision milling.
Okay, above is the whole article for helix angel choice for end mill, hope it will benefit for you. For more information, please feel free to contact Melody!