In CNC milling machining, if you want to increase the processing efficiency by more than 2 times compared with the current one, which method will you consider? Let’s discuss it together today.
In the actual production of milling processing, it includes many application skills such as machine tool setting, workpiece clamping, tool selection, etc. The following will introduce the main points of milling processing.
- Check the power capacity and rigidity of the machine tool to ensure that the machine tool can use the required milling cutter diameter.
- Workpiece stability: Workpiece clamping conditions and considerations.
- Keep the tool overhang on the spindle as short as possible during overhang machining.
- Choose the correct milling cutter pitch: Use the correct milling cutter pitch suitable for the process to ensure that there are not too many blades involved in cutting, otherwise it will cause vibration.
- When cutting and eating the knife, when milling narrow workpieces or gaps, ensure that there are enough blades to eat the knife.
- Insert geometry selection: Use positive rake angle indexable inserts as much as possible to ensure smooth cutting action and lowest power consumption.
- Use the correct feed: Ensure the correct feed for the insert being used to achieve the correct cutting action by using the recommended maximum chip thickness.
- Cutting direction: Use down milling as much as possible.
- Part considerations: workpiece material and configuration, and quality requirements of the surface to be machined.
- Insert material selection: select the groove type and material according to the workpiece material type and application type.
- Vibration-damping milling cutter For longer overhangs exceeding 4 times the tool diameter, the vibration tendency will become more pronounced, and the use of vibration-damping cutters can significantly increase productivity.
- Leading angle Choose the most suitable leading angle.
- The diameter of the milling cutter is to choose the correct diameter according to the width of the workpiece.
- Milling cutter position: Correctly position the milling cutter.
- Cutting in and out of the milling cutter It can be seen that by cutting in with a circular arc, the chip thickness at the time of retraction is always zero, which enables higher feed and longer tool life.
- Coolant Use coolant only when deemed necessary. In general, milling performs better without the use of coolant.
- Follow tool maintenance recommendations and monitor tool wear.
Of course, if milling processing wants to increase the processing efficiency by more than 2 times compared with the current processing, it is not enough to master the above processing points, and the choice of cutting tools is particularly important. In milling, it is very difficult to achieve a substantial increase in processing efficiency using ordinary CNC cutting tools.
One reason for this is tool life. When the processing parameters are set at a high level, there are many cases where the service life is unstable. Another reason is the need to maintain precision. For example, to maintain Ra=1.6 or less, flatness 10μm, and to improve efficiency, I believe that most people will choose tools with tool tip runout adjustment, or choose wiper tools.
However, since the tool with runout adjustment has a large number of flutes, the range of cutting resistance fluctuations increases, and it becomes difficult to maintain flatness if the feed is increased. In addition, the tool tip adjustment is also very time-consuming.
In the case of a normal wiper tool, the flatness can be improved, but the feed needs to be set in consideration of the length of the wiper and the angle of inclination. In this case, it will be difficult to greatly improve efficiency.
Today we would like to recommend a high feed milling inserts with higher efficiency: LOGU030310ER-GM
It can match Kyocera’s MFH Mini (16-32 mm) series milling cutter. Let’s see what’s the features does this milling inserts have.
Firstly, it can achieve high efficiency and high feed cutting at small diameter even at small machining center.
What are the specific features of this inserts?
- 4 cutting edges with double-sided
- It’s max ap=1mm
- The convex cutting edge reduces impact while entering the workpiece.
The LOGU0303 milling inserts has wide range of application including face milling and shoulder face milling, slot milling, ramping, helical milling, pocketing, and contouring. It also has good chip evacuation prevents chip-biting. At the same time, it has multi-edge design which enables high efficiency machining.
In order to find a way to greatly improve processing efficiency, new ideas and the ability to transform ideas into reality are indispensable. UKO will continue to provide products and services that exceed customer expectations in the future, and will continue to develop ideal knives.