Composite materials are multiphase materials prepared by compounding two or more materials such as metal materials, ceramic materials or polymer materials. Various materials learn from each other in terms of performance and produce synergistic effects. The performance is superior to the original constituent materials and meets various requirements.
Among composite materials, fiber reinforced materials are the most widely used and used in the largest amount. It is characterized by small specific gravity, high specific strength and specific modulus, and also has excellent chemical stability, anti-friction and wear resistance, self-lubrication, heat resistance, fatigue resistance, creep resistance, noise reduction, electrical insulation and other properties.
The main application fields of composite materials are as follows.
① Aerospace field. Due to the good thermal stability, high specific strength and specific stiffness of composite materials, they can be used to manufacture aircraft wings and front fuselages, satellite antennas and their supporting structures, solar cell wings and shells, shells of large launch vehicles, engine shells, Space Shuttle Structural Parts, etc.
② Automobile industry. Due to the special vibration damping characteristics of composite materials, it can reduce vibration and noise, has good fatigue resistance, is easy to repair after damage, and is convenient for integral forming, so it can be used to manufacture automobile bodies, stressed components, transmission shafts, engine frames and their interiors member.
③ Chemical, textile and machinery manufacturing fields. The composite material of carbon fiber and resin matrix with good corrosion resistance can be used to manufacture chemical equipment, textile machines, paper machines, copiers, high-speed machine tools, precision instruments, etc.
④ Medical field. Carbon fiber composite materials have excellent mechanical properties and non-absorbing X-ray characteristics, and can be used to manufacture medical X-ray machines and orthopedic brackets. Carbon fiber composites also have bio-histocompatibility and blood compatibility, good stability in biological environments, and are also used as biomedical materials.
In addition, composite materials are also used in the manufacture of sports equipment and as building materials.
Common problems in machining composite.
There is a big difference between composite materials and metal materials in machining. Composite materials are prone to problems such as burrs, delamination, tool wear, and resin melting during processing. We usually choose the appropriate tool material, tool edge, etc. Type, processing technology and reasonable processing parameters to avoid.
- Glitch. Due to the poor cutting effect, there are remaining fibers around the material. To address such a problem, it is necessary to improve the sharpness of the knife.
- layered. Along the direction of the cutting force of the tool, if the cutting force is too large, it will usually cause the material on the surface to be torn off, causing delamination. For this kind of problem, it needs to be avoided through the adjustment of the tool edge design and cutting parameters.
- Tool wear. The fiber strength and resin type of processing composite materials will cause tool wear, so it is necessary to choose the tool reasonably according to the material and processing conditions.
- The resin melted. The resin used in some composite materials has a low degree of high temperature resistance, and the cutting heat generated during the rapid cutting process can easily cause the resin to melt.
CVD diamond coating end mills for composite materials.
CVD diamond coated end mills are commonly used for processing composite materials. Such tools are made of diamond coating on the substrate of cemented carbide solid tools or PCD inserts, which can make the cutting edge more wear-resistant. It not only has the high hardness and wear during the processing cycle, the geometric structure of the original tool is maintained to ensure the processing effect.
It has following characteristics:
- Diamond coating with excellent wear resistance and fracture resistance.
- High crystallinity, adhesion, high toughness can improve the durability of the tool.
- High-precision and high-quality machining in CFRP machining.
Hope through this article, you can find the best suitable milling cutters for your composite materials. Any further discussion, please contact Melody!