According to the different organization of stainless steel at room temperature, stainless steel can be divided into ferritic stainless steel, martensitic stainless steel, austenitic stainless steel, and precipitation hardened stainless steel. And most of the stainless steel processed by the factory is mainly 201 stainless steel, 304 stainless steel and 316 stainless steel. 201 and 304 materials, with common carbide coated milling cutter, it is easy to process. And 316 material, or stainless steel contains more impurities and high hardness, you need to choose stainless steel special tools.
1. Features of stainless steel processing
The main features of stainless steel processing are as follows:
(1) Large cutting force.
Compared with other difficult-to-cut materials, the strength and hardness of stainless steel are not high. However, when stainless steel is processed, its plasticity and toughness are good, high temperature, high strength, and serious work hardening.
(2) High cutting temperature.
(3) Easy to stick to the knife and generate built-up edge.
(4) Difficult chip breaking (not easy to curl and break when cutting).
(5) The tool is easy to wear.
(6) Large linear expansion coefficient.
2. What material tool should be selected for processing stainless steel?
For milling ordinary stainless steel materials such as 201 and 304, use ordinary carbide-coated milling cutters and choose 4 blades to mill well. When processing stainless steel, it is best to choose a material with high hardness, good wear resistance, strength and toughness, and good thermal conductivity.
3. Reasonable cutting parameters for stainless steel processing.
Stainless steel processing can be divided into rough machining and finishing. For rough machining, you can choose YW and YT cemented carbide with relatively low TiC content; for finishing, you can choose YW and YT cemented carbide with high TiC content. .
Secondly, in order to prevent edge chipping in processing stainless steel, the strength of the blade should be increased, and the rake angle is best to choose a smaller value or a negative value. If hard alloy is used for processing stainless steel, the helix angle is preferably 5-10 degrees. If high-speed steel end mills are used, 35-45 degrees should be selected. When milling stainless steel, it is best to choose an end mill with a larger helix angle, and when milling stainless steel pipes or thin-walled workpieces, you can choose a corn end mill.
Commonly used stainless steel milling consumption.
Carbide end mill. cutting speed 10~140m/min, feed rate 0.013~0.15mm/z.
Last but not least, other knowledge of processing stainless steel.
1. For processing high-hardness stainless steel, it is best not to use high-speed steel end mills.
2. If the hardness of the steel is higher, choose a lower milling amount.
3. When the amount of side tool is large, choose a lower milling speed.
4. Using coated carbide cutting tools, the milling speed can be increased by about 50%.
5. When cutting, pay attention to fully cooling off. If you use cemented carbide tools to process stainless steel, do not use water-soluble cutting fluid to avoid the cutting edge from being subjected to greater thermal stress and causing chipping.
After seeing so much, what kind of tool is used to process stainless steel? With stainless steel processing methods, I believe you have a thorough understanding for your cnc machining. If you have any needs, please contact us UKO in time.